Wednesday, July 09, 2008

I <3 Tegaki!

Im really enjoying the Tegaki blog. Its so fun to do quick sketches, Id forgotten. I dont draw nearly as much as I used to. So its fun to take time out and just put some ideas on screen. It feels very much like doing ballpoint doodles, you know the kind you used to do at school. I think I practiced my anatomy and drawing faces more then I did working on math problems.
I was wondering if anyone else has one. Right now I only have 2 friends. And Id love to join with others (who speak english of course) at Tegaki. And if your not at Tegaki I hope I can inspire you to want to take part. You can always check my progress with the small widget I have on the blog to the side. It scrolls through what images Ive finished and have posted.



Ive been really surprised at how quickly Ive been able to throw out these images. Its really satisfying to get down what you think in your head - usually when drawing your trying to achieve that, its rare when you get anywhere close. Well it is for me anyway. This particular image was inspired by the movie The City of Violence . I watched it and was really blown away by its slick visuals and fresh editing style. You could see a lot of western influences in it. Theres a great 'The Warriors' style moment when the protagonists go up against school gangs, each with their own look and flavour. The climax to the film was epic. Waves upon waves of henchmen in a pogoda style building, however unlike Tarantinos 'The Bride'. Its not a gratuitous gore fest with limbs flying, instead the director showed the struggle and painful journey of getting to the point of their revenge. I thought it was cool as fuck and hope you guys get to check it out.



(haha...I just noticed I drew them in ties in my image. Whoops! Ties look cool anyhow.)

Peace out cool cats!

Don

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I just went to see the tegaki blogs from posts.. and they are tres cool. So thanks for the pointer.. and your artwork, as I'm sure you've been told, is fabulous.

Unknown said...

I just went to see the tegaki blogs from posts.. and they are tres cool. So thanks for the pointer.. and your artwork, as I'm sure you've been told, is fabulous.